I have decided to shut down my URL shortening sites, lolz.ws and lulz.ws, on August 9.
Here are some of the reasons why I have come to this decision:
- The lack of traffic on these sites.
- Most URLs were created by spammers.
- lolz.ws was in the jwSpamSpy spam list for which reasons I do not know, causing it to be blocked by some web filters.
- No email has ever been sent from this domain since the day I registered it.
- It has since been taken out of the spam list as I requested but some filters still block the domain.
- lolz.ws was once blocked for pornography.
- The fact that there are many other URL shortening sites out there.
So today I have discovered that lolz.ws is on the filter list on iPrism for pornography/nudity.
Now the last time I checked, lolz.ws has no sort of pornography or nudity which makes this baffling to me. It is simply a service to make short URLs similar to bit.ly and TinyURL.
I have had issues with this domain before. The domain was in the jwSpamSpy spam domain blacklist a few months ago for some odd reason. Since the domain was in there some other web content filters had been blocking the site. I was able to get the blacklist removed for the domain though.
Update 1/27: iPrism has updated the rating of the site to “Internet Service”
These two sites, lolz.ws and lulz.ws, are now live as URL Shortening sites.
You can now create URLs like for example:
Recently I bought the domains, lolz.ws and lulz.ws. What am I going to do with them is make them URL Shortening sites.
Imagine linking to something funny on Twitter, Facebook, or to a friend using lolz.ws:
Imagine linking to something you are doing the lulz for using lulz.ws:
Of course it will be possible to use both URLs for just about anything. It will be a while before I get these sites up.